Spine is a complex interconnected segments of bone, nerves, muscles, and ligaments. The building blocks of spine is called vertebrae. It consists of moveable bones which is divided into 5 regions mainly cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacrum and coccyx.
Functions of Spine
* it protects the spinal cord and nerve roots which transfers messages to the entire body
- Provides flexibility, support and mobility during walking
- Provides structural posturing to the body
Any of the structures are affected by strain, disease or injury leads to pain and alteration in any above functions.
Spine care is adjusting your body to improve alignment, restore movement, and ease pain in the spine. The increasingly complex phenomenon now a days in the current medicine are spinal deformities. The complexities in the spine care has left many patients confused, a collaborative action with all operative and non – operative with pain management specialist combine in provided the appropriate spine care.
Some of the Issues relating Spine Treatment
- Herniated disk- rupture disk in the lower back or neck
- Spinal stenosis- narrowing of surrounding of the spinal corn
- Degenerative disk disease
- Cervical myelopathy- damaged spinal cord in the neck
- Spondylosis – abnormal wear on the bone and cartilage
- Failed back surgery syndrome
- Scoliosis and kyphosis- abnormal curvatures of the spine
- Spinal tumors
- Spinal osteoporosis
- Spinal fractures due to trauma
Methods of Spine Care Surgery
- At first your doctor encounters the back and neck problems by initial examination, then he prescribes medication and activity modifications.
- Then your physical therapist plays a vital role by following spine based rehabilitation protocols the management of gait, rest sleep is been educated and taken care by him.
- If the spine disorders is not managed by the above methods then your physician uses epidural injection mainly epidural to alleviate the pain. It a method to decrease pain on long term basis.
- For patients who do not respond to non-invasive / non operative methods, surgery is recommended. The common question asked by the patients is who performs the spinal surgery is it orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon. The answer is the orthopedic surgeon who has specialized training in spine care provided a complete care to the spine before during and after the surgery.